Great War, Battlefields of the Western Front
This is the essential iPhone app for travelling the battlefields of the Western Front of the Great War, covering 170 locations with 700 photographs. From Diksmuide in Flanders to Cantigny in the Somme, it will help guide you to some of the amazing sites of interest - from bunkers and trenches to more major sites like the Menin Gate in Ypres or Thiepval on the Somme. It also contains a wealth of practical and useful information for any traveller including cafés, museums, opening hours, etc
- 170 locations from Flanders in Belgium to the Somme in France
- 700 photographs
- 17 countries represented over 170 locations
- Offering an historical guide to the Great War from the outbreak to armistice
- Every location has been visited, extensively researched and photographed by Spot On Locations
- Content written by professional journalists with specialist background in battlefield tourism
- History page with fully researched, concise history on each major battle from 1914 to 1918
- All locations have also been categorised into 6 colour coded groups:
- Colour-coded pins (showing different location 'types' e.g. Cemeteries, Bunkers, Trenches etc)
- Locations can also be viewed by country of interest flag pins (toggle feature between colour codes and flag pins)
The Great War Battlefields of the Western Front is packed full of information, facts and stories of the ordinary soldier, from Victoria Cross recipients to the last fighting Tommy, Harry Patch. Stories that include the plight of the horses to the tragedy of three brothers all killed on the same day. It is a great way to learn about all aspects of the Great War, and can be used whether or not you are actually on the battlefield. If you're using the app in the local region covered by the pins, it will help you navigate to your chosen locations. If not, the app is designed and produced to give an in-depth overview of the many varied, and interesting sites, giving the remote user the feeling of being there.
- iPhone compatible
- Designed to be used offline so no expensive roaming charges
- Zoom to specific site locations
- Your current position highlighted on the in-built map (iPhone)
- Each location is colour coded and shown in List view as well as the Map view
- Colour-coded pins (showing different location 'types' e.g. Cemeteries, Museums, etc)
- Facility to toggle pin views between colour pins and flag pins
- Each location can also be viewed as a flag pin and is shown also in Access & Facilities page
- Favourites page to shortlist your locations, helping you to plan your battlefield tour
- Incredibly easy to navigate around the map
- GPS positions included for individual sites
- Photos can also be viewed in landscape and are zoomable
- Additional navigation facility available using online maps (Roaming charges may apply for this feature)
More apps on the way...
We are currently researching and preparing two new apps. Please watch this space, follow us on Twitter or Like Us on Facebook. It is a very exciting time for us and we are striving to produce the very best we can.
We keep our apps simple to use but with enough, thoroughly researched and relevant information that you will learn lots more about the events and locations that you visit.
We want our apps to take the hassle out of travel, leaving you much more time to savour and appreciate the sites and places of interest.