Normandy D-Day 1944
This is the essential iPhone app for visiting the Normandy invasion beaches and the many sites of interest further inland. Normandy D-Day 1944 covers 100 locations, including the five invasion beaches, with 500 photographs from Utah Beach to Sword Beach, from the Merville Battery in the east to the Azeville Battery in the west.
Visit many of the locations of Easy Company from Band of Brothers, including the new memorial to Major Dick Winters, Brécourt Manor and the memorial to 1st Lt. Thomas Meehan Memorial - 101st Airborne.
It will help guide you to some of the amazing sites of interest - from bunkers and batteries to the more major sites like the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, and the amazing Pegasus Memorial Park, commemorating the British 6th Airborne. The app contains a wealth of practical and useful information for any traveller including museums, opening hours, toilets, etc which will help you plan your visit to this beautiful part of France.
- 100 locations throughout Normandy
- 500 photographs
- 20 Museums
- 7 countries represented over 100 locations
- Offering an historical guide to the D-Day landings, from the preparation to the breakout from Normandy
- Every location has been visited, extensively researched and photographed by Spot On Locations
- Content written by professional journalists with specialist background in battlefield tourism
- Fully researched, concise history on each beach landing - Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword
- Fully researched concise history on Operations Overlord, Neptune, Titanic, Jupiter, Goodwood, Bluecoat and Cobra
- All locations have also been categorised into 5 colour coded groups:
- Colour-coded pins (showing different location 'types' e.g. Cemeteries, German Battery, Tanks, etc)
- GPS co-ordinates
- 2 ways to view the map either by colour code or by flag pins
Normandy D-Day 1944 is packed full of information, facts and stories of the ordinary soldier - the first Victoria Cross recipient, the first Medal of Honor recipient, the first British soldier killed on D-Day, the paratrooper who was buried with his dog, the first mass celebrated in an unoccupied France, the first recording by the BBC of church bells peeling out for freedom, stories of the horror that unfolded on Omaha Beach and stories of ordinary men doing extraordinary feats.
This app is a great way to learn about all aspects of the Normandy landings and the breakout which eventually led to the liberation of Europe.
- iPhone compatible
- Designed to be used offline so no expensive roaming charges
- Zoom to specific site locations
- Your current position highlighted on the in-built map (iPhone)
- Each location is colour coded and shown in List view as well as the Map view
- Colour-coded pins (showing different location 'types' e.g. Cemeteries, Museums, etc)
- Facility to toggle pin views between colour pins and flag pins
- Each location can also be viewed as a flag pin and is shown also in Access & Facilities page
- Favourites page to shortlist your locations, helping you to plan your battlefield tour
- Incredibly easy to navigate around the map
- GPS positions included for individual sites
- Photos can also be viewed in landscape and are zoomable
- Additional navigation facility available using online maps (Roaming charges may apply for this feature)
More apps on the way...
We are currently researching and preparing two new apps. Please watch this space, follow us on Twitter or Like Us on Facebook. It is a very exciting time for us and we are striving to produce the very best we can.
We keep our apps simple to use but with enough, thoroughly researched and relevant information that you will learn lots more about the events and locations that you visit.
We want our apps to take the hassle out of travel, leaving you much more time to savour and appreciate the sites and places of interest.